Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, December 26, 2008

Mom of many talents

December 15-
I learned that I was a mom of many talents today. Brent gets roped into helping his dad strip and plant every year. That is about as much farming as he does and tries to stay on the horses the rest of the time. They started striping the cotton Thanksgiving and have been going strong ever since. It means late nights, few horses ridden, grouchy men!! Plus mom and boys are ready to have dad back also. Brent thought they were on the last stages when his dad and granddad left the farm to head to the farm in Martin Co to combine the maize while they had someone contracted out to help them. This just left Brent and the hand. Not much would get done. Brent was pretty frustrated and called to see if I had any suggestions. He asked about Dad, me, anything. I told him no to clean house and do laundry instead. However, about lunch I began to feel bad and called back to volunteer- I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A STRIPPER BEFORE!! It was going to be an experience and I was pretty nervous. Plus, what do you do with three boys. Brent got me on the stripper, left older two boys in car to watch a movie, and Kelton in our laps. He showed me how to run it and it was pretty simple. I finally got the hang of it and he turned me lose. Kelton rode in the seat behind me and Grammy rescued the other two boys. We ran all afternoon and into the night. It wasn't too bad until dark and you had to get out to unstop the pickers. It was COLD!! Luckily, Gene showed up and I had students coming for tutoring so I got to quit early. I just hope I didn't ruin the crop too much. I guess if not, I won't be asked to do it again next year. At least I didn't break anything. Lots of friends have given their suggestions on how to run over or break the tractors so they are not asked to help again!! It was fun and now I can run an Army Tank!!

12/15

No comments: